The Wee Spoke Hub is a friendly, relaxed and not-for-profit cycling initiative aiming to overcome barriers to cycling.
We currently focus on four things:
1) A free supported DIY bike workshop open to anyone
Every Tuesday and Thursday from 5-8 our amazing volunteers offer people the opportunity to learn how to fix their bikes in a relaxed and non-patronising way.
Check out here when/if the next workshop is on.
Please scroll down for a list of tools and materials and information on how you can become one of our amazing volunteers.
Yo! Why not like us on Facebook?
We offer our workshop to the charity Crisis, who run an essential maintenance course for people without permanent abode. The course aims to those in need the chance to develop new skills, gain some qualifications and offers them the opportunity to gain a bike, which can significantly increase their mobility.
3) Bikes for Refugees
We get together every Wednesday from 5-8pm at the Shrub Co-operative (13 Guthrie Street).
Come and join us!
Please e-mail us (email@example.com) if you want to get involved or donate an item.
You can follow the project more closely here.
4) Fun and Empowering Cycle Training
Boost your cycling confidence and knowledge with our free and fun cycling skills courses!
Courses take 2.5h and are available for beginners and more advanced cyclists. Boost your cycling confidence and knowledge with our free and fun cycling skills courses!
Our next course dates for 2016 are:
25th Sep, 10:30-13:00, Intermediate/Advanced @ King’s Buildings
Please book your place at cyclinghub.scot.
How do I get involved?
There are four volunteer positions available at the Wee Spoke Hub:
- Community Bike Workshop Facilitator, 3.5h/week (Tue or Thu, 4:45 – 8:15pm)
- Community Bike Workshop Assistant, 3h/week (Tue or Thu, 5-8pm)
- Bikes for Refugees Facilitator, 3.5h/week (Wed 4:45 – 8:15pm)
- Bikes for Refugees Assistant, 1-3h/week (Wed, 5-8pm)
A detailed description of all the available roles can be found here.
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in any of these opportunities or require any more information.
So what stuff do you have?
– all the essentials such as allen keys, spanners, chain tool and other friends
– puncture repair kits
– bike pump
– spoke keys
– wheel truer
– chain cleaning apparatus
– and other small tools which are too small to be mentioned here
– all the grease and oil one could ever ask for
– inner tubes (common sizes)
– brake pads (we don’t have any funk for disc brakes)
– brake cables (outer and inner)
– gear cables
– and random selection of second hand parts such as seats, wheels (mostly 26), pedals, a curious variety of brake and gear parts (all of the mentioned second hand parts are subject to availability and randomness)
Hopefully see you soon! 🙂
Your Wee Spoke Hub