Food Sharing Edinburgh is an exciting volunteer-led food waste reduction programme run by the SHRUB Cooperative. We are part of a global movement of communities uniting to end food waste. We collect food that would otherwise be binned (but which is still perfectly edible) and distribute it to those who can use it. Food Sharing aims to bring people together to eat well, end waste and create a more sustainable food system.
About the Opportunity
- Food Sharing collects excess food from local businesses and re-distributes this food to the community. The Team Facilitator is the main point of contact for a particular business and organises the team of volunteers who collect and re-distribute the food.
- The tasks involved include keeping the volunteer rota up to date, accompanying new volunteers on their first food collection, facilitating a positive relationship with the business, and collecting food weight data from volunteers.
- Food Sharing relies on volunteers to save food from waste! The role of Team Facilitator enables effective communication between Food Sharing, our businesses and volunteers and is essential to the organisation.
- This is a unique opportunity to gain volunteer management experience in an environmental charity. Working closely with businesses to reduce waste provides an in-depth understanding of issues surrounding food waste and Scotland’s food system.
Skills and Experience
We need Team Facilitators who are friendly, enthusiastic and well organised! You must be able to use Google Drive, Excel and Word and respond to emails on a regular basis.
- Food Sharing businesses are located all over central Edinburgh. Please get in touch and we can match you with a business that is convenient for you.
- Most food collections happen in the early evening, but it varies depending on the business.
- Our fortnightly planning meetings happen every other Monday from 6-7.30pm at 22 Bread Street – these are optional but Team Facilitators are encouraged to attend!
- The role requires approximately 2-4 hours of commitment per week, which will be split between inducting volunteers at the business and small admin tasks such as updating the volunteer rota, making sure the food weight log is updated and responding to emails.
- A minimum commitment of 2 months is desirable.
- Team Facilitators are given a full induction session before starting the role.
- This role is fully supported by the Project Coordinator at Food Sharing, who is always on hand if you have any questions or need advice.
How to Apply
- Please tell us why you would like to apply for the opportunity and what qualities and experience you would bring to the role. Please send this via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After receiving your application, we will send you the list of available businesses to choose from. We will then ask you to come in for an informal chat and give you a volunteer induction.
If you have any questions about the role, don’t hesitate to get in touch by emailing email@example.com.