About the Opportunity
- Food Sharing runs a variety of events. These include big “Disco Soup” events with vegetables saved from waste and made into free soup, accompanied by a programme of live music as well as a weekly public food table and one-off awareness raising stalls.
- The events coordinator is responsible for overseeing event(s) of their choice, with help from the Project Facilitator: from venue booking (where applicable) to sourcing food from our network and organising the volunteer schedule for the day.
- The events coordinator is essential for running these events which allow us to distribute free food and outreach to the public, educating people about the issue of food waste and what we can do about it.
- This position is a fantastic chance to gain experience of events planning and volunteer management in a non-profit organisation. It is an exciting opportunity that involves spending time with a lovely bunch of enthusiastic people at feel-good events.
About Food Sharing Edinburgh
Food Sharing Edinburgh is an exciting new volunteer-led food waste reduction project. We are part of a global movement of communities uniting to end food waste. We collect food that would otherwise be binned, and distribute it to those who can use it! Food Sharing aims to bring people together to eat well, end waste and create a more sustainable food system.
Skills and Experience
- We require events coordinators who are organised, with good communication skills. Events experience or a network of contacts within Edinburgh is desirable but not essential.
- Planning meetings happen at the Shrub Co-Op (13, Guthrie Street, EH1 1JG) and volunteers are welcome to use the office space here. Events occur throughout Edinburgh, but are concentrated in the city centre.
- Our weekly planning meetings happen on Mondays at 6pm, and events usually take place on weekends, with the exception of our public food table on a Wednesday lunch time. It is desirable but not necessary that you are able to attend planning meetings.
- The opportunity requires 2-6 hours per week in the run up to events, with events usually lasting 6-8 hours on a weekend.
- A minimum commitment of 2 months is desirable.
- We can provide travel and lunch expenses for volunteers attending events.
- An induction will be provided, and all Food Sharing volunteers are able to apply for the cost of relevant training to be covered by Food Sharing.
- This role is fully supported by the Project Facilitator at Food Sharing, who is always on hand if you have any questions or need advice.
How to Apply
- To apply, please tell us why you would like to apply for the opportunity and what qualities and experience you would bring to the role. Please send this via email to email@example.com
- After receiving your application, we will ask you to come in for an informal chat and, if we are both happy with the arrangement, give you an informal induction.
If you have any questions about the opportunity, don’t hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org