About the Opportunity
- Food Sharing runs a variety of events. These include parties, panel discussions and awareness raising ‘outreach’ stalls 🙂
- The events coordinator is responsible for overseeing event(s) of their choice, with help from the Food Sharing Hub Coordinator (Laurie): from venue booking (where applicable) to sourcing food from our network and organising the volunteer schedule for the day.
- The events coordinator is essential for running these events which allow us to distribute free food and outreach to the public, educating people about the issue of food waste and what we can do about it.
- This position is a fantastic chance to gain experience of events planning and volunteer management in a non-profit organisation. It is an exciting opportunity that involves spending time with a lovely bunch of enthusiastic people at feel-good events.
About Food Sharing Edinburgh
Food Sharing Edinburgh is an exciting volunteer-led food waste reduction project. We are part of a global movement of communities uniting to end food waste. We collect food that would otherwise be binned, and distribute it to those who can use it! Food Sharing aims to bring people together to eat well, end waste and create a more sustainable food system.
We have recently opened Scotland’s first ever Rescued Food Shop, known as the Food Sharing Hub. This shop is open 3 days a week and offers food that we have collected to the public on a Pay As You Feel basis!
Skills and Experience
- We require events coordinators who are organised, with great communication and interpersonal skills. Events experience or a network of contacts within Edinburgh is desirable but not essential.
- Planning meetings happen at the Shrub Co-Op (22 Bread Street). Volunteers are also welcome to use the office space at 17 Guthrie Street. Events occur throughout Edinburgh, but are concentrated in the city centre.
- The opportunity requires 2-6 hours per week in the run up to events, with events usually lasting 6-8 hours on a weekend.
- A minimum commitment of 4 months is desirable.
- We can provide travel and lunch expenses for volunteers attending events.
- An induction will be provided, and all Food Sharing volunteers are able to apply for the cost of relevant training to be covered by Food Sharing.
- This role is fully supported by the Food Sharing Hub Coordinator, who is always on hand if you have any questions or need advice.
How to Apply
- To apply, please tell us why you would like to apply for the opportunity and what qualities and experience you would bring to the role. Please send this via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- After receiving your application, we will ask you to come in for an informal chat and, if we are both happy with the arrangement, invite you along to a Events Team meeting
If you have any questions about the opportunity, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Laurie at email@example.com