You will be a Food Sharing Hub Guardian, one of the team members who are responsible for overseeing the direction of the Food Sharing Hub. This is a ‘Rescued Food Shop’, located at 22 Bread Street.
The group manages:
- Logistical management (e.g. locating a space)
- Financial sustainability (e.g. calculating budgets)
- Funding requirements (e.g. crowd funding for a van)
- Promotional activity (e.g. making and sharing photos/videos)
- Partnership building (e.g. establishing a connection with a supermarket)
- Legal structure (e.g. health and safety)
We will ensure that we are working towards achieving our vision by setting small targets as part of an overall timeline.
The Finance Guardian
This role will specifically focus on tasks such as:
- Being familiar with the budget
- Keeping up-to-date on project spending and cash-flow
- Reallocation of funds from under budgeted area to over budgeted area
- Working closely with Alex (Finance And Admin Coordinator) and Ollie (Zero Waste Edinburgh Project Coordinator) and having a 1:1 check in at least once per month
- Bringing budget to monthly FSH Guardians meetings and advising on what we have money for
Overall, your role is to represent this particular area of the project in meetings, while staying attentive to how this area crosses over with other areas by communicating clearly with other guardians.
We need Guardians who are organised, responsible and can dedicate time to weekly and monthly meetings. Ideally Guardians would have experience higher level volunteering for a charity, not for profit of social enterprise and will be familiar with management processes. Applications are also welcome from those with professional expertise in food waste, sustainable food or the non-profit sector.
As the Finance Guardian, we would like you to have some experience with budgeting and cashflow, and good competency with using spreadsheets.
- The Food Sharing Hub based at the SHRUB Coop at 22 Bread Street (EH3 9AF).
- Guardians meet every month (usually on a Wednesday or Thursday, 6pm til 8pm), but are also expected to make regular appearances at Monday Working Group meetings (every second Monday).
- Guardians are welcome to use the office space at the Shrub Co-Op (17 Guthrie Street) during opening hours (Monday to Thursday 10am – 6pm)
- The role requires 2 to 4 hours of commitment per week (this will vary)
- A minimum commitment of one year is desirable.
- All Food Sharing Project Guardians are able to apply for the cost of relevant training to be covered by Food Sharing.
- This role is supported by the Project Facilitator who is on hand if you have any questions or queries. The Project Guardians team is also encouraged to support each other, both in and out of meetings.
Your Project Facilitator is Laurie King (email@example.com). Please contact him if you are interested in the role, with a couple of paragraphs explaining why.