About the Role
We’re looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help us develop the front end of our new website.
This is a chance to put your skills to the test to help us build a bespoke website for our charity. We’re quite a unique community based cooperative, with a flat structure and multiple ongoing projects including a Swapshop, Food Sharing Hub, a DIY bike workshop and several upcycling events through the year.
We need a website that can promote our activities and also serve as a resource for our community who have an equal voice in running the coop, with functions include online membership sales, integration with out custom built CRM and volunteer management system.
As waste reduction and inclusivity are at the heart of our mission, we’re also building our website with low carbon and accessible design principals in mind.
A preview of our work so far can be viewed on request.
Please note this is not a role for someone with only beginners skills in web design.
Volunteers will gain experience in:
- Problem solving and developing a bespoke website for a unique organisation that can be added to your portfolio.
- Working with a team of enthusiastic developers and designers
- Working within our communications working group with volunteers across social media, print & graphic design, and photography.
- Good instinct for UX design.
- Time management and planning your workload.
- Team work and good communication.
- HTML coding and flexible to work across new platforms (We’re using Hugo and forestry.io as our CMS)
- 2 to 4 hours per week either at home or at our weekly website meetings at 17 Guthrie Street (currently held on Tuesdays at 6pm, but can potentially be rescheduled)
- You are encouraged to attend our monthly Communications Workgroup on Wednesdays at 6pm, at the Zero Waste Hub (22 Bread Street)
- References for job applications.
- Meet like minded people and join a community of environmental activists.
- Free volunteer membership of SHRUB Coop giving you access to: decision making in our open meetings, the Swapshop, Food Sharing Hub, free stuff from our member’s freeshop, invites to our monthly member’s parties, and more!
- Saving the planet.
How to Apply
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with a short explanation of why you are interested in this role, any relevant experience you may have and any examples of previous work. After receiving your application, we will ask you to come in for an informal chat about the role.
About Shrub Coop & Zero Waste Edinburgh
SHRUB Coop is a grassroots organisation which aims to provide a welcoming space for rethinking our relationship to waste and developing creative solutions based on the principles of the circular economy.
The Swapshop on 22 Bread Street, where you can swap your unwanted things for something else that’s been pre-loved.
The Wee Spoke Hub on 13 Guthrie Street, a DIY workshop where we empower you with the skills and the tools to repair your own bicycle.
SHRUB also coordinates the Zero Waste Edinburgh programme, over the next 2 years, we’ll be:
Creating a Food Sharing Hub to distribute surplus food to those who need and want it within the community, funded by Pay As You Feel donations.
Running a Material Matters workshop programme themed around Textiles, Bicycles, Electronics, and Furniture that will upskill the community and create new upcycling enterprises.
Establishing a Zero Waste Advocate Network of local community members who share the vision of an Edinburgh without waste and will support each other in reducing waste in their patch.